This is how is works. I will be juicing about a gallon of juice a day, with at least 50% of my juices by volume needing to be what is commonly called 'green' juices, made from green leafy vegetables - kale, spinach, lettuce, parsley - and some non leafy greens like celery, cucumber, etc. The basic rule of thumb is that it takes about 2 pounds of total green veg a day to get this amount of green juice. (This varies.) The other juice is made up another 2 quarts or so in 'colored' juices - carrots, beets, and assorted fruits and veg.
I will also allow myself other healthful beverages such as herbal tea, water, sparkling water, fermented beverages and coconut water. (I plan to stay away from dairy, and caffiene)
Because I have such limited options locally for organic produce. I will be buying most of mine in bulk from a wholesale organic distributor. This will also allow me to juice for my family. They are eager to join the fun. (They are not fasting, but I will serve fresh veggie juice with their breakfasts in the mornings.)
(3rd week) I have started supplimenting with MSM, enzymes, Chlorophyll, and Spiralina, every now and then.
BREAKING THE FEAST: The following Information is from www.JuiceFeast.com
Any fool can fast—only a wise person can break a fast properly.
At the point of Feast-breaking a celebratory sense fills one’s being. While celebration is appropriate, out of necessity for well-being a degree of prudence and conscious restraint is in order. Returning to the eating of solid food wakes a sleeping giant, and a watchful eye must be maintained to ensure that the giant wakes slowly so as not to bring down the house.
During the Feast-breaking period, it is necessary to continue drinking freshly made vegetable and fruit juices (with an emphasis on chlorophyll-rich juices) to maintain a proper daily nutrient and caloric intake.
When you break your Feast, consider choosing a significant place to do so, and whether you want to break the Feast with someone close to you, or in contemplative silence with yourself. This is a meaningful time, and a point at which a memory will be stored that can provide you solace and happiness in the future.
Some good places to break the Feast are parks bird sanctuaries, or any place of spiritual practice; your own quiet place at home—perhaps a backyard. A good place in time to break the Feast, if possible, is on a day off from work. You may want to consider taking that day off to do a life review with written goals for the future, and to contemplate the love and health you have cultivated in yourself. The benefits will far exceed your own well-being, as you no doubt have already discovered.
When to Break a Juice Feast
So let's talk about how you know when to break a Juice Feast. I will give you some general guidelines, but most important is to consult a health professional for guidance, as is advisable on any health programme. That being said, here are some common indications that it is time for you to break a Juice Feast:
1. If your heart is not in it, has not been for 3-5 days or more, and you are definitely about to eat something.2. You have no guidance from a health professional, and/or are Feasting with feelings of fear.
3. You are not drinking enough juice or the right juice to provide your body with all the calories it requires, and do not feel that you can maintain the discipline of doing so.
4. Your weight hit 10% below your ideal, and by virtue of drinking 5-8 quarts of juice per day with increased superfoods, has risen back steadily over at least 4-10 days.
5. Your weight has hit 10% below your ideal, and has continued to trend downwards. You are feeling hungry, and are not feeling compelled (which is totally cool) to drink 5-8 quarts of juice per day to increase bodyweight.
6. You have reached 92 Days of Juice Feasting, and are ready to move back into eating, to Juice Feast more at a later date, once you have had a chance to regroup from this significant life event.
Whether you are at Day 84 now, or Day 7, it is important to feel that you have had a successful Feast, that it is something you will be proud of yourself for accomplishing, and a health tool that you will use again in the future with confidence. John Rose suggests drinking juices for 2-3 months, and I made this Program 92 Days because this is the approximate length of time that many people in Western societies need to reverse their health challenges, significantly transform the desire for processed foods, and develop a craving and discipline of seeking Nutrient Dense, Living Foods. If you have not Juice Feasted for such a length of time, please remember that not everyone who does this Program Feasts to completion on their first, or even second time. This is a major life event and project that is new to many of us. Please be patient with yourself, and honor the great capacity in yourself that is moving in the direction of health and peace in a significant and loving way.I salute you, and you should be proud of yourself.
THE FEAST BREAKING PROTOCOL
To download today you will find my Feast-Breaking file, explaining the simple process back to live foods. If you have been Feasting longer than 24 days, take up to 6 days to break your Feast based on the protocol below, and MAKE SURE to take 1/3rd of the days for the prunes and then 1/3 of the days for low glycemic juicy fruits. Stick to the formula in the Feast-Breaking file to go easy on your body.For many years it was thought that the longer you cleansed, the longer - by far - that you had to take to reintroduce foods back into your system. It was also the conventional wisdom that you needed to begin eating small amounts of food slowly. Both of these ideas about breaking a cleanse have been modified. When I learned about breaking the Juice Feast from John Rose, John's original formula was to take the total number of days that you cleansed, and divide by four. This number would be how many days you took to break the Feast. For a three month cleanse this would be over 20 days of breaking out, which is a long time. John and I discussed the possibility of doing in a shorter period of time, and I contacted Gabriel Cousens, M.D., my professor in the Masters Program in Vegan and Live Food Nutrition at the Tree of Life. Dr. Cousens said that we could modify the breaking period significantly to less than a week even if people had juiced for three months.
So, the Feast Breaking Protocol as you see it now is based on John Rose's original formula, Gabriel Cousens' helpful amendment to the length of breaking, and the white oak bark and ginger root practice of Dr. Richard Anderson. With that said, here is how to do it!
The Feast-breaking period for Juice Feasts under 12 days follows a simple formula:
1. Take the total number of days fasting and divide by four. Write the number down. This is the total number of days you can use to break out of the fast.
2. Divide by 3 the total number of days you will break out of the fast, giving you three distinct phases of fast-breaking.
3. The first third: Break the fast with 8 oz of organic prunes that have been soaked overnight. Do not throw the prune soak water out—drink it a few minutes before breaking your fast with the prunes. At this first “meal” eat as many prunes as you like, optimally eating all 8 oz that you soaked. This is the only solid meal you will eat on the first day. A bowel movement should come within 3-6 hours. If a movement does not come, employ the use of the herb Cascara Sagrada to prompt the peristaltic wave to induce a bowel movement. For each additional day of your first third of days of fast-breaking, eat 1-2 meals of prunes, preferably at breakfast and lunch, while maintaining the amount of fresh juices consumed during the fast.
4. The second third: During this phase and beyond, you may continue to consume soaked prunes. You will now add in juicy fruits. By juicy fruits we mean watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, oranges, mangos, pineapple, cherries, tomatoes, cucumbers with the seeds removed, and so on. For your digestive health, avoid fruits that are not water-rich such as avocados, bananas, and the like. You may eat juicy fruits as regular meals during the day, while cutting back to ½ the appropriate fresh juice amount you were consuming during the fast. As greens are vitally important to our overall health, it is wise to consider making green vegetable juices your primary juice of choice at this point in the fast-breaking process and in your life as a consumer of a nutrient-dense plant-based diet.
5. The third third: You will now add salads into your diet, consisting of tender greens: spinach, arugula, sprouts, and microgreens. An appropriate salad dressing at this stage can be made from flax oil and lemon—please refrain from using creamy dressings of any kind until you are finished with this final phase of fast-breaking. Excellent fatty foods to add in at this time are avocados and kalamata olives. You may continue to eat prunes and juicy fruits!
6. Finally, you may want to employ the use of White Oak Bark and Ginger to help shrink your colon and repair any prolapsus that may have resulted from years of weighty impacted fecal matter pulling the colon down and out of position. This is more important for Feasts longer than 12 Days. See the directions below, and use the White Oak and Ginger for the duration of your fast-breaking period:
How to Shrink the Abdomen, Repair Prolapsus (Cleanse and Purify Thyself, 135)
A thick and dangerous mucoid buildup in the intestinal tract, as seen in the famous "beer belly," causes damage to surrounding tissues. Once the mucoid layers are removed, the seriously stretched intestines are still soft and flabby. But there is hope for a normal and healthy look blessed are herbs!
After cleansing, white oak bark and ginger root, when used together, can help to draw the flesh back to its original position. Take three (3) capsules of white oak bark with three (3) capsules of ginger root three (3) times daily on an empty stomach. Those with a prolapsus should use a slant board along with these herbs after completing the Cleanse. While on the slant board, gently massage the intestines upwards. Do this two or three times daily or as needed. Follow your intuition.
The same herbs are also suggested for those with prolapsus of the transverse colon along with the use of a slant board. Lie on the slant board with the head down, and gently stroke the abdomen, especially the transverse colon, towards the head. Reach as deep as you can and draw your intestinal tubes upwards. Visualize them staying in place. Remember, your mind is the controlling factor in your life. Once your subconscious mind accepts your suggestion as true, it will become a reality.
The Feast-Breaking period for FEASTS OVER 12 DAYS takes up to 6 days and no more, following the above formula starting with #3. You will do 2 days of each phase of the Feast-Breaking process.
Once you have completed a disciplined and successful Feast-Breaking, you may enjoy eating the wide array of nutrient dense raw and living foods available to you. Your “clock” has been reset—even at the cellular level. You have achieved a health reality that is most aptly maintained through the use of raw foods—these are the foods that your body now recognizes—that you now recognize—as real food. Please mindfully consider the efforts that you have made, and what good health means to yourself and to those you love. At this time it is as if you were given a new automobile, and you don’t want to do anything to it—such as allowing messy kids—into your new car. Your body is your new car—and it can get better with age. Who gets to ride in it? You know the best fuel for its optimum performance now and far into the future.
At this time of transition to an appropriate diet of raw and living foods, it is important to provide yourself the support you need to maintain what you have achieved and improve upon it. Many of the files you have downloaded have been important in planting seeds of knowledge in your mind. It has been more than you can consciously remember, but as you read and experience more, the seeds of raw/live food knowledge in you will grow stronger, enabling you to enhance the life experience not only of yourself, but of the many people you meet. You have within your hands a powerful and transformative vehicle for good, out of which will bloom gratitude and deep happiness. It has been an honor to have the opportunity to help introduce you to raw food nutrition—the benefits of which you give as a gift to yourself and those you love through your greater well-being.
Congratulations on a great Feast.